Thursday, September 4, 2008

Part Super Hero...

I am convinced now that Luca is part super hero!!! NOTHING will keep this boy down!

His surgery went great yesterday! What was supposed to be a 90 minute surgery, turned out to be a 30-40 minute surgery. The doctor repaired the epigastric hernia and gave him a "inny" belly button. The big "reveal" will be tomorrow when I can take off his bandage.

Lutheran hospital has really focused the past few years on catering to children. So, in the pre-op area there was a toy room right next to our room. He found a little 4 wheel bike, and was going all over the pre-op area. I think he helped some of the peoples anxiety, because they were focused on the cute little blonde riding all over the place. ;-) He never once asked to eat or drink, and I owe that to all of the things that were there to distract him. He actually rode this little bike back with the nurse to the surgery door. I walked with him to that point, and then she asked him to help her push the handicap button to open the door, and he was game for that. As she picked him up and he pushed the button, I ducked around the corner and they left. I never heard him cry once!

It was harder for me to send him back for surgery, because with him, surgeries are not expected. With the other 3, I know there is not a choice, it is just a way of life for them. But for Luca, it should not have to be this way. This is his 3rd surgery: though they have all been minor. He had to have his tongue clipped when he was 10 months old, he had tubes put in one month later, and now his hernia. Hopefully this will be his last!

Okay, back to after his surgery. He was crying when we went back to post-op, but stopped when I picked him up. We were there for less than 1 hour, and were discharged. he slept for about 15 minutes on the way home, and then rested on the couch for about 2 hours. After that, he must have decided that he was fine, because he got off and has not stopped since. The only thing he has not done is run. I had to get him off of many things yesterday that he had climbed on. He is UN-STOPPABLE!

I put him down at 6:45 and he slept till 8:30 this morning. He was 95% today, and I am sure that he will be 100% tomorrow!

I really liked the couple hours that he snuggled next to me on the couch! Here are a few pics of my boy on the couch. I will probably never have pictures of him awake staying in one place, ever, ever again. :-)





I have some other pics from the hospital, but they are on my phone. I know, I know, how could a photographer forget her camera??? We bought a cord yesterday to be able to download pics from our phone to the computer, but it was the wrong size!I am hoping to exchange it for the right one tomorrow.

Oh, funny story. I am potty training Luca. I know, he is only 2, but he is ready! He has been telling me for weeks now before he has to pee and he would go and hide when he had to poop. So, I decided it was time.

While we were in the pre-op room he told me that he needed to pee. I asked the nurse if she had something that he could pee into. She was shocked that he could do this already, but she went and got a plastic urinal. She said, "If he really goes in that, he will be my first 2 year old to pee in a urinal!" You see, he sees Micah cathing into a container, if we need to measure his urine output. So, to him it is cool. At home he loves to pee into the "cathing container"! So, I held the urinal up to him and he peed 100cc's. I so wish I had my camera then!!! He was VERY proud of his pee, and I think he made his nurse's day!

8 comments:

Phyl said...

Very cute...even then he looked just fine!!! Did you buy a new pacifier?

Rebekah Hubley said...

No, Ryan found one under the couch and Micah told Luca to "go ask daddy for the passy in his pocket". He had been screaming every day at nap time for like 30-40 minutes after I would lay him down. so, when he got his "uh oh" back, we told him that it was not allowed to leave his crib, and he could only use it at naps and at night. I know, probably really stupid on our part, but I do not have to hear him scream any more! :-) I was glad that he had that comfort yesterday. Today, I made him leave it in his crib and he was fine. Like I said, probably really dumb, since he had not had it for over 2 weeks, but you should have seen his look when he was reunited with it! :-) It was priceless...

Hey, I actually remembered to copy and send this blog post and pics to Wava.

BSC said...

He sounds like a trooper. You have to know that energy and determination is going to carry him far in life.

Blessings,
Beth

Rebekah Hubley said...

Beth-

I love your perspective. He will definitely do great things! Honestly, he is just like I was when I was little. What am I saying, I still do not sit down a lot. :-)

Laurie said...

I love smiley passy pictures!! So cute, and glad it all went so well.
Laurie

One Crowded House said...

Rebekah- I have met Laurie Watson... and her 3 kiddos at home.... I am hoping to be able to meet her sweet twin boys SOON!!! Hopefully it won't be too much longer and they will be flying to Haiti to bring them home :)

One Crowded House said...

Rebekah- I have met Laurie Watson... and her 3 kiddos at home.... I am hoping to be able to meet her sweet twin boys SOON!!! Hopefully it won't be too much longer and they will be flying to Haiti to bring them home :)

Burgette said...

So glad to hear that everything went well with the surgery! I love reading your blog...it's very inspiring!
Thanks:)
Angie (Burgette)