Monday, September 1, 2008

"Go Dog Go"...


I have always loved to read! My favorite times to read as a kid, was when we were down in Haiti. No TV, no phone, really no nothing... :-) So, my mom always made sure that we took a lot of books with us to read. I would spend hours reading, and that is really where I fell in love with reading!

Hannah LOVED to sit on our laps at such an early age and read. Even though she is blind, she would sit for hours and listen to us read to her. We bought her braille tactile books at a very young age, and she would memorize the books and read them to herself. We have video of her reading books to herself at 22 months old. I had just delivered Micah and she was up visiting us in the hospital, and she sat on my bed and read books to herself. It is so cute to pull those videos out and watch them. She had such a mousy voice!

Well, along came Micah and he had NO interest in books until he was about 2. The book that got him hooked to reading was, "Go Dog Go". He LOVED it, and wanted to read it all of the time. He loves to read anything now, and his favorites at the moment are probably Curious George books. Ryan's mom loves to read, and she has a bound set of Curious George books all in one book, and Micah will have her read them all in one setting.

Luca really has not had any interest in books yet either. So, I got out "Go Dog Go" the other day, and now he is hooked on reading! I don't know what it is about this book and my boys, but they LOVE it! He now will sit and listen to other books too, but before his nap every day he asks to read, "Go Go Do"... :-)

So tell me, what are some of your kids favorite books, and was there one in particular that got your kid "hooked" on reading? I always love hearing about new books...

4 comments:

Phyl said...

My granddaughters, Nayeli and Alani, have always loved books and have many, many of them but I remember that when Nayeli was very little her favorite was Eric Carle's "Mister Seahorse". The illustrations are beautiful and it tells a nice story about how "dads" care for their kids. I never go to visit without bringing them some new books.

Phyl said...

I thought of a book that Alani just loved at age two...I'll bet Luca would as well. Mo Willems' "Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus!" It's very cute and after the first reading the kids start to respond along to admonish the pigeon.

Guise family said...

We have Go Dog Go and some of the others. The boys love them and I do too. They are short and tehy keep their attention. They are great stories to get kids interested in reading. :)

Heather BT said...

Acer loves the sheep in a .. series, those sheep get into such funny situations and it all rhymes. Shel Silverstein's Giraffe and a half; and then panda, baby, brown, and polar bear series we enliven by adding the names of our dogs.
The adventures of Duck and Farmer Brown in the click clack moo series.
Heather BT
http://adoptakid.blogspot.com