Monday, October 6, 2008

Cooking Slump...

I have been in a cooking slump for quite some time now! I am not sure why. We did so much grilling this summer that maybe I got lazy with recipes.

Well, I am calling on you now to help me, and anyone else out there that feels this way right now!

Please post a recipe for me that you love to cook! I am not a gourmet chef, so it can't be too fussy of a recipe! :-)


–Tortilla Soup–

2 cans of chicken (or 2-4 cooked and diced chicken breasts)
2 cans of corn–one drained (I have used fresh sweet corn too)
2 cans of chicken broth
2 cans of refried beans
2 cans of black beans–drained and rinsed
2 cups of salsa–any kind–

Directions: Open, dump, stir, and heat… (easy, huh…)

Top with Sour cream, shredded cheese, avocados, or tortilla chips.
(we use low-fat sc, low-fat shredded cheese, and baked tortilla chips)

My kids LOVE this soup, and they are so excited when this is for dinner!
If you are vegetarian, just do not add chicken, or the chicken substitute. (I can’t think of what that stuff is called???)
---------------------------------------

I can't wait to see what you have to share! My husband and kids will be forever grateful!!! lol...

4 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

I have been cooking on Sundays two to three meals that I can just have Scott throw into the oven and bake. This is a huge time save for me as I have not time these days.
One of our favorites is just lasagna, and shephard's pie.

1lb ground beef
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of green beans drained
1 can of corn drained

brown hamburger, add tomato soup, green beans, corn, mix together.
On top put mashed potatoes and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
Use left over mashed potatoes, like at Thanksgiving time. Or just a 95 cent package instant potatoes.
Sophie's favorite!

jenn said...

Here's one that I made tonight. My kids like it.

http://www.recipezaar.com/103961

Phyl said...

I made your soup tonight...it was good! I added a half can of fire roasted tomatoes and some fresh lime juice. I think the toppings really make it too.

Anonymous said...

This is a super easy and pretty easy one - great with garlic bread and a simple salad! Tanner and I love it!

Lasagna Toss
Yield: 4-6 servings

1 lb. ground beef (or italian sausage)
8 oz pasta (penne rigati or spiral pasta)
1 large jar spaghetti sauce (we use Ragu Robusto Sautéed Onion & Garlic)
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese (I use more!)
½ cup diced onion (optional – not needed if you use the above sauce)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground beef and drain (sauté onions as well if using). Add sauce and heat through. Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package instructions; drain. Add pasta to meat/sauce mixture and stir.

In a 3 quart oven safe dish, layer ½ the meat/sauce/pasta mixture, 1 cup cottage cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining meat/sauce/pasta mixture, then the remaining mozzarella.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

*This can be doubled easily, just add more cooking time to make sure it heats through all the way.